September is right around the corner, which means it’s time to stock up on notebooks, pens, paper, markers, and everything else your child will need to succeed in school. If you’re the parent of a budding musician, this is also the time of year you’ll need to stock up on strings, cleaning supplies, slide grease, rosin, and whatever else your child needs to keep their instrument in tip-top shape. Whether it’s your child’s first year in band or orchestra or you misplaced your list from last year, we’ll break down the essential items your child will need.
Just print this list, find their instrument, and head to your local Music & Arts–we’re a one-stop shop for everything you need, from flute reeds to tuba slide grease and everything in between.
Essential String Accessories (Viola, Violin, Cello, or Bass)
In addition to the instrument itself (pretty obvious!), there are a variety of must-have accessories that are intended to keep your child’s instrument in good playing shape. Other on this list (shoulder rest/sponge) are intended to improve their comfort and overall enjoyability while practicing. In addition to the must-have accessories for all musicians (we’ll get to that at the end), your child will also need to pick up the below before their first day of school:
- Rock stop– Also called an “endpin”, this accessory is intended to prevent slippage.
- Shoulder rest/sponge– The goal of a shoulder rest is to allow a more comfortable attitude while playing by adding height to the shoulder and preventing the instrument from slipping
- Rosin– Players of bowed string instruments rub cakes or blocks of rosin on their bow hair so it can grip the strings and make them speak, or vibrate clearly.
- Replacement strings– You never know when one is going to break! Having a backup set of replacement string is a must for every string instrument musician.
- Starter Pack-These all-in-one kits usually have everything a new string musician will need, including rosin, spare strings, and cleaning supplies.
Check out our complete list of Essential Orchestral String Accessories.
Essential Woodwind Accessories (Flute, Piccolo, Clarinet, Sax, Oboe, Bassoon)
Woodwinds are delicate instruments, and have lots of different parts your child will need to protect–that’s where the “guards” on this list come into play. If your child plays the flute, piccolo, clarinet, saxophone, oboe, or bassoon, you’ll need to make sure they have these items in their case before their first lesson.
- Instrument swab- Typically made of high-quality fiber, instrument swabs will thoroughly clean your child’s instrument while protecting its finish; they’re often described as having a magnetic attraction to dirt and dust.
- Reeds– A thin strip of material which vibrates to produce a sound on a musical instrument.
- Reed guard– An effective way to keep reeds safe and secure during transport and storage.
- Pad guard – Designed to dry flutes after playing and protect the pads from damage caused by moisture.
- Neck strap– Intended to hold the instrument securely, and in a good position to play.
- Cork grease – A lip balm-like grease used on the corks to make putting the instrument together possible without damaging the cork
- Starter pack– These all-in-one kits usually have everything a new woodwind musician will need, including reeds, cork grease, and cleaning supplies.
Essential Brass Accessories (Trumpet, Trombone, French Horn, Baritone)
Brass accessories have many different uses – all of which contribute to the sound and playability of the brass instrument they are designed for. Brass mouthpieces and mutes play a major role in an instruments sound production, while slide grease and valve, slide, and key oil will keep your child’s brass instrument in tip-top shape. If your child plays the trumpet, trombone, French horn, or baritone, you’ll need to pick up these accessories before they step foot in the classroom:
- Valve, Slide & Key Oil- Valve, slide, and key oil are lubricants for the valves, slides, and keys of your child’s instrument.
- Slide Grease– Odorless grease for lubing the tuning slides of your child’s brass instrument.
- Mouthpiece– The part of your child’s musical instrument that’s placed between or against the lips.
- Mute–A pad or cone placed in the opening of a brass instrument intended to deaden the volume.
- Starter Pack- These all-in-one kits usually have everything a new brass musician will need, including slide grease, valve oil, and various cleaning supplies.
Check out our list of Essential Cleaning Supplies for Brass Instruments.
Essential Percussion & Marching Band Accessories
The percussion section of a marching band is what keeps the ensemble ticking (literally), meaning it’s important to make sure your percussionist has the tools they need to do perform. In addition to the drums themselves, here are a few accessories your child will need before the school year:
- Drum Pads– An electronic device with one or more flat pads that imitate the sounds of a drum kit when struck.
- Drumsticks–A stick, typically with a shaped or padded head, used for beating a drum
- Mallets– A wooden or plastic stick with a rounded head, used to play certain percussion instruments such as xylophone and marimba.
Check out Pads, Stools and Sticks: Beyond the Drum Set.
In addition to the method books, ID tags, and recruited school texts required/requested by your child’s teacher, you’ll also need to pick up these must-have accessories for all musicians. Whether your child plays the violin or the baritone horn, these accessories are absolutely essential:
- Metronome- A device used by musicians that marks time at a selected rate by giving a regular tick
- Tuner- An electronic device for tuning a guitar or other instrument.
- Music Stand – A rack or light frame on which written or printed music is supported.
- Cleaning Supplies– This varies from instrument to instrument, but usually includes cleaning cloths, cleaning sprays, oils, and polishes.
Buy Accessories at Music & Arts
With hundreds of stores across 25 states, and thousands of products available online, you’ll find one of the largest selections of gear, accessories, and instruments on our website–including all of the accessories on this list! If you have a specific question about a particular product, contact us and we’ll be happy to help. With one of the largest product offerings in the world, we offer educator-approved instruments and accessories from some of the most trusted brands in the industry. Find your local store today!