October 05, 2015
When Is It Time to Upgrade Your Saxophone?
If you’re a parent with limited experience in music, it can be hard to tell the difference between a student model saxophone and an intermediate or professional instrument. The truth is, details that seem small or insignificant actually make a difference in the sound quality and playability of these instruments. This means that your child’s musical development may stall if they play on their introductory student sax for too long or another model that doesn’t fit their needs. Use this guide to help set up your budding saxophone player with a terrific higher-level instrument.
Signs It’s Time for a Saxophone Upgrade
Every music student is different, but there are some clear and universal signs that we can look for as parents to know when sax students need a more advanced instrument:
- Your student’s skills surpass their instrument’s abilities – There’s no doubt that tackling a new instrument like the saxophone is tough for a child. But if they’re putting in the work and still find their instrument hard to play after a period of months, it’s probably time for a new one. Student saxs are designed to give kids a broad introduction to the instrument. But because they’re inexpensive, they’re often difficult to play. This means that leveling up to a higher quality model will make learning new material easier and more natural for your child.
- Your child is thriving on their current saxophone and wants to learn more – When it’s clear a child is thriving in music, upgrading their instrument is one of the best ways to maintain their musical progress. A superior sax won’t just look and play better than your student’s current instrument. It will also empower and inspire them to immerse themselves even deeper into the world of music. When our kids do the hard work of learning the saxophone, it’s up to parents to reward their hard work with instruments that match their talent, progress, and ambition.
- Your child can’t play specific material on their existing instrument – The quality of student and intermediate saxophones can often make playing basic material a challenge. In some cases, experienced students won’t be able to access specific notes or perform tough material quick enough if their saxophone isn’t equipped for it. If your student is hitting roadblocks like these, they probably should’ve gotten an upgrade months or even years ago. Advanced players need advanced instruments.
What should I look for in a saxophone upgrade?
The instrument you give your saxophone student should match their interests, playing and performance needs, and unique playing style. Do your research beforehand to ensure you’re upgrading to the right instrument. If in doubt, the expert advisers at Music & Arts are always happy to help. Here are a few of our favorite models for your child’s next upgrade.
- Allora AAS-580 Chicago Series Alto Saxophone – this instrument is gorgeous, features a stellar brass sound, and is an affordable option for a promising student needing an upgrade.
- Selmer Paris SeleS AXOS Series Alto Saxophone – For advanced students, moving on to a professional level instrument may be a good option. This model, crafted in France, is designed to deliver an incredible sound and playing experience.
- AAS-550 Paris Series Alto Saxophone boasts the look and superior functionality of a professional saxophone at an amazing price. Features pristine gold lacquer or silver-plated finishing.
Is a Saxophone Upgrade Really Worth It?
Is getting a saxophone upgrade for my child really worth it? The answer is, yes! If you’re invested in the musical development of your child, giving them the right tools to pursue music with are essential. This includes instrument upgrades when your child needs them, but also expert instruction and music accessories.
Upgrade your child’s saxophone with Music & Arts
With special discounts, no-interest financing, and a vast assortment of incredible brass instruments to choose from, Music & Arts’ Upgrade Your Sound event is the perfect time to up your student’s game by purchasing an amazing new instrument. This year’s event ends soon, so browse deals on woodwind instruments now!
July 26, 2015
August 22, 2015
Saxophone Mouthpiece Buying Guide
January 11, 2016